Fish Explorer Logo
Colorado Fishing
Colorado Fishing
Login Usr:Psd:
Don't have an account? Register now...
spacer spacer
Go back to Main FxR Forum listings

Proper fly fishing attire

Post By: Big Low      Posted: 4/23/2015 2:39:18 PM     Points: 95    
I wanted to thank everyone for the great fly fishing information over the last 2 weeks. You captured my attention so greatly that my goofy butt bought a fly tying station and material and started tying flies!!! The wife is about at her limits. My question is , I've noticed quite a few "fly guys" wearing the bandana or rag over the face thingy with glasses covering what little skin is left. What is the purpose of this? Is it to eliminate sun or wind burn or is it to try and look like a trout to fool your prey? My wife threatens that if I take on this attire she will never be seen with me on the river again not to mention a hispanic in this attire is never a good thing....just sayin. headed out this weekend to hit the gentler streams for a beginner fly fisherman. I will have updates.
 Reply by: MAC ATTACK      Posted: 4/23/2015 2:43:14 PM     Points: 25492    
It's a head condom to protect you from the sun or being recognized on a river using a bobber.

Oh I forgot a strike indicator!!
 Reply by: Flyrodn      Posted: 4/23/2015 2:49:20 PM     Points: 177495    
I think Mac Attack is right!

Proper fishing attire for me is whatever I have on when I head out and a bit of sun screen. I like some of the "flats" clothing for the large pockets that I can stuff fly boxes in, and it dries quickly. I have a tendency to get wet, for any number of reasons. Yes, I'm an old fly fisher.

 Reply by: Freestone303      Posted: 4/23/2015 3:07:55 PM     Points: 442    
Hey its better than tweed.
 Reply by: Ajax5240      Posted: 4/23/2015 3:43:22 PM     Points: 22775    
I think the things you are talking about are worn 35% to block sun and 65% because the wearer thinks it looks cool. Not my style. To each their own though. I do have a flats shirt or sun shirt that is nice in the summer. But it just looks like a white dress shirt.
 Reply by: Kev-o      Posted: 4/23/2015 4:29:26 PM     Points: 37613    
Camouflage banana hammock and a clear green visor lol.
 Reply by: the fishing dj      Posted: 4/23/2015 4:35:46 PM     Points: 25825    
They are called buff face masks. They are a breathable uv protective face mask, but they also work well to keep off bugs, wing, and cold. I wear mine all the time, and they are pretty great!
 Reply by: Luke the Dog      Posted: 4/23/2015 4:37:24 PM     Points: 25    
It's called a Buff, it's good because skin cancer ain't cool and sunblock is a drag...
 Reply by: Rsrecurvehunter      Posted: 4/23/2015 5:50:33 PM     Points: 1016    
I hate sunblock therefore I wear a buff. Don't want cancer, a nasty burn or sunscreen on my lures. They take a while to get use to and fly fisherman aren't the only ones that wear them, lol
 Reply by: A10FLYR      Posted: 4/23/2015 6:02:19 PM     Points: 26    
I don't care for it but I wear one myself now. Perhaps a little late to start worrying but I hate smearing sunblock on my face!
 Reply by: Dangly      Posted: 4/24/2015 3:55:04 AM     Points: 238    
I wear a buff too, I float tube a bunch and sitting on top of a mirror ( water) can fry you quick.
As far as fly fishing goes, try the outfit below, It's how a lot of fly guys picture themselves anyway....hee hee
 Reply by: A10FLYR      Posted: 4/24/2015 7:31:59 AM     Points: 26    
LOL! That's good, Dangly...
 Reply by: the fishing dj      Posted: 4/24/2015 7:49:05 AM     Points: 25825    
Dangly, They actually are pretty comfy fishing clothes...
 Reply by: not too old to fish      Posted: 4/24/2015 9:17:14 AM     Points: 3827    
Dangly, you hit the nail on the head for some fly only guys. LMFAO

Back to top...